Accreditation schemes provide independent verification for your business practices. They can be an excellent way of reassuring customers, checking progress, and inspiring your staff. Accreditation is unlike an award, in that they are for any business reaching a certain standard. It's about recognising a certain requirement rather than rewarding the best. Consumers are becoming more savvy - can you afford not to be accredited?
No single accreditation is a guarantee of good environmental performance. However what all of these schemes have in common is that your environmental processes have been independently signed off against transparent criteria.
- Environmental Management (general)
- Carbon Charter - Local accreditation for energy management - designed with smaller firms in mind.
- Carbon Trust Standard - Typically suited for larger firms
- ISO14001 - International Standard on environmental management. (BS8555 is for smaller firms working towards ISO14001).
- Sector Specific Schemes
- Green Tourism Business Scheme
- Greener Camping Club
- Julies Bicycle - Creative Arts
- Linking Environment and Farming
- Sustainable Restaurant Association