Trade Waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres
|8 week trade waste trial at Lowestoft - Between 16th July and 8th September trade and commercial customers will not be permitted to enter the public Recycling Centre at Hadenham Road, Lowestoft. Instead, trade customers will be directed next door to the Waste Transfer Station. For more information click here|
All 11 Household Waste Recycling Centres now accept commercial waste at a charge. (Lowestoft customers will be directed to the waste transfer station during trial 16 July- 9 Sept). The scheme is specifically targeted at small businesses and travelling tradesmen who may not have the resource or the volume of waste to justify a commercial collection. The trade waste will now be accepted within the household waste containers, so more can be recycled. Materials that are not accepted through the household service will also not be accepted from trade customers.
TRADERS MUST MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN TO SITE STAFF AND PAY FOR DISPOSAL PRIOR TO UNLOADING THEIR VEHICLE
Pricing structure (excludes VAT)
|Non-recyclable/ unsorted waste||Pre-sorted recyclables||Green garden waste||Wood|
|Large car, estate, MPV, 4x4, small trailer (less than 2m x 1m)||£40.00||£25.00||£15.00||£25.00|
|Car derived vans, Unbraked large trailer (over 2m x 1m)||£54.00||£35.00||£25.00||£32.50|
|Medium van, Double axle or braked trailer||£81.00||£40.00||£30.00||£49.00|
|Large van (SWB, single wheel axle only)||£108.00||£60.00||£45.00||£65.00|
|Large van (MWB)||£135.00||£75.00||£56.50||£81.00|
|Large van (LWB)||£162.00||£90.00||£67.50||£98.00|
|Vehicles over 3.5 tonne gross weight are not accepted.|
• All payments must be made via Credit or Debit card.
• Loads covering more than one of the pricing bands listed above will be charged proportionally. The recyclables price is only available for loads pre-sorted into the different material streams available on site. Mixed loads, whether made up of recyclable materials or not, will be charged at the ‘non-recyclables/unsorted waste’ price.
• Site staff will assess the amount and type of waste when you arrive at the site to determine the amount payable.
• Site staff may use their discretion to charge a lower rate if your vehicle is only partially full. Quotes cannot be given in advance of presentation at the site.
• The price determined by site staff is final and non-negotiable. Under any attempt to negotiate, site staff reserve the right to charge the full amount payable for your vehicle size.
• Height barriers are no longer in use to allow traders to drive onto site, please do so with caution and obeying the site speed limit of 5mph.
How do you prove you have fulfilled your Duty of Care obligations?
Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990), traders have a legal “duty of care” to take all reasonable steps to store and dispose of waste safely. When transfer and payment has been completed, you will be given a copy of the waste transfer note which proves you have transferred the waste to an authorised body (FCC Environment). You should keep this in your files in case you are asked to produce it by the Environment Agency or local council at any point. You will also be given a copy of the payment receipt and a record of what you have recycled.
Do you require a Waste Carrier’s Licence?
If you transport waste as part of your business then you will need to register with the Environment Agency. From January 2014 any business that normally transports their own waste must register as a lower-tier waste carrier to comply with recent changes to the England and Wales Waste Regulations. Registering in the lower tier normally costs nothing and lasts indefinitely, unless your situation changes. A fine of up to £5,000 could be issued to any business not registered. For more information and to register click here
What information will you need to provide?
For each visit, a waste transfer note will be filled in on site. Some of the information recorded includes;
• Type of waste (Furniture, paper, wood etc.)
• Type of premises where waste was produced (shop, factory, house etc.)
• How it is contained (Loose, sacks, boxes etc.)
• Quantity of waste (Van full, X bag or boxes, X tonnes)
• Name of person disposing of waste.
• Name and address of company.
• Address waste was collected from.
• Waste Carrier Licence number where applicable.
• Vehicle registration number.
• Date and time of transfer.