Large quantities of fresh water are currently discharged to the sea, meaning our most precious resource goes to waste. So even though there is plenty of rain in winter, we are suffering from water shortage. There must be another way. And there is: We can store this excess water to be used during summer.
FRESH4Cs strives to cut back water losses by exploring solutions for efficient water use in the coastal lowlands of Belgium, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Six demonstration cases show how three different types of technologies can ensure future water availability for coastal lowlands:
- Smart water transfer and above-ground storage for irrigation
- Underground water underground storage with Managed Aquifer Recharge (MAR) techniques, including creek ridge filtration
- Treatment of membrane concentrate with a willow marsh
The ultimate goal is that these solutions will be adopted beyond the demonstration phase and result in the widespread use of alternative sustainable water resources.
Join the project partners and expert speakers on Friday 3rd February 2023 to learn about the project, its challenges and successes, and about the potential to replicate in your region.
Preliminary programme (GMT time)
• 9:30: Welcome and introduction
• 9:45: Opening remarks by Councillor Richard Rout, Suffolk County Council
• 9:55: Keynote: Drought impact in the 2 Seas region and outlook to the future
• 10:25: Creek ridge infiltration in Braakman Zuid (Dow)
• 10:40: Water storage at Kwetshaege (Vlaamse Landmaatschappij)
• 10:55: Water treatment for use by farmers (Lamb Weston/Meijer)
• 11:10: Q&A
11:30-13:00: Lunch break
• 13:00: Keynote: Managed aquifer and creek ridge infiltration by Ane Wiersma (Deltares)
• 13:30: Treating concentrate with a willow marsh: a nature-based solution (Aquaduin)
• 13:45: Providing Felixstowe farmers with sustainable freshwater (Felixstowe Hydrocycle)
• 14:00: Managed Aquifer Recharge: viewpoints from the farmers and the regulator (Environment Agency and Felixstowe Hydrocycle)
• 14:15: Q&A
• 14:40: Break
• 15:00: Stakeholder participation and integral value
• 15:10: Round table discussion
• 15:45: End
Join in person or online
The event will be streamed online for those unable to attend in person. To access the link to watch online, please register for the event on Eventbrite and tick the option to watch virtually.
Register for the conference using Eventbrite here.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided so please tell us about any catering requirements on your booking form.
The FRESH4Cs closing conference is free to attend:
• From 9:30 to 15:45 GMT (London)
• From 10.30 to 16.45 CET (Brussels, Amsterdam)
FRESH4Cs is an EU funded, collaborative project between 10 UK, Belgian and Dutch partners, demonstrating alternative freshwater resources for agriculture, industry, nature and drinking water production in coastal lowlands. FRESH4Cs has received funding from the Interreg 2 Seas programme 2014-2020 co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. For more information on the project, visit the website on www.fresh4cs.eu