[source: Suffolk Recycling]
As part of International Compost Awareness Week (from Saturday 30th April), Suffolk Waste Partnership is supporting several initiatives aiming to help residents get composting.
Not only will there be free compost and details of low-cost compost bins, but there will also be the chance to win a superfast ‘Hotbin’ composter, which can turn garden waste and all food waste (including cooked) into nutrient soil improver in as little as 30 days!
Free compost will be available to visitors (while stocks last) at the 8 following events:
- Saturday 30April – 8am to 12noon at Station Road Car Park, Station Road, Sudbury, CO10 2SU
- Sunday 1 May – 9am to 12noon at Mill Meadow, Needham Market Lake, IP6 8NU
- Tuesday 3 May – 11am to 2pm at Whitton Sports Centre, Ipswich IP1 6LW
- Friday 6 May – 11am to 2pm at Chantry Park, Ipswich, IP2 0BS
- Saturday 7 May – 10.30am to 1.30pm at Bourne Park, Ipswich, IP2 9TA
- Saturday 7 May – 9am to 12noon at Eye Community Centre, Magdalen Street, Eye, IP23 7AJ
- Sunday 8 May – 9am to 12 noon at Morrisons Car Park, Hadleigh, IP7 6LB
There is also one ‘Shovel it Yourself’ compost giveaway event taking place – visitors will need to bring their own shovel and bags/containers to collect the compost (while stocks last) at this event:
- Friday 6 May – 9.30am to 3pm at Sizewell Sports & Social Club, King Georges Avenue, Leiston, IP16 4JX
For those interested in making their own compost, the Suffolk Waste Partnership is continuing its successful compost bin promotion, which helps residents buy compost bins and other food digesters at discounted prices. Prices start from only £9.99 for compost bins and £14.99 for food digester systems.
On average, more than a third of the contents of Suffolk’s rubbish bins could easily be composted at home. Each household in Suffolk could compost 150kg of organic material a year, turning this waste into free soil improver.
Craig Renton, Suffolk County Council Waste Advisor, said:
“Compost Awareness Week is a great time to learn about the many benefits of composting at home.
“It’s the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way to deal with organic waste as it requires no transport or processing. Our events and discounted offers are also a great opportunity to get involved, learn more and discover a range of composting systems that hopefully suit most resident’s needs and budget.”
For details of all the discounted items available to Suffolk households through the offer, and to order, please visit www.getcomposting.com or call 0844 571 4444. Information about discounted compost bins & the Hotbin competition will be available at all events listed.